Saturday, February 26, 2011

#54 - Eat more veggies!

I know people who truly like eating vegetables ... bell peppers eaten like apples, cherry tomatoes popped into their mouths like jelly beans, deep abiding passion for eggplants ... I am not one of these people.  I wish I was because I know that it would be far easier to eat healthy if I enjoyed a wider variety of vegetables.  (And, yes, I do know that peppers and tomatoes are actually fruits, so don't go all botanical nazi on me). 

So, this goal - to eat some purely vegetable dish every night for two months - was to try to establish the habit of going for the green food while I was making something else to eat as a main dish.  I will admit that I didn't have a lot of variety in what I reached for; I went through lots of packages of frozen broccoli/cauliflower and a fair amount of fresh spinach along with a few other things.  However, I did get the pattern established because last night when my two months were officially over, it seemed entirely natural to have a big plate of spinach with just a little Italian dressing while I was mulling sandwich vs. leftovers as a main course.  And, when I was buying groceries on Thursday, I hit the produce section hard so I would have parsnips and other root vegetables to roast this weekend as well as my stand-by choices for weekdays.

Will the habit last?  I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried oven roasting your veggies? This completely transforms boring veggies. Things like kale, brussels sprouts and fennel become pure ambrosia. I'm not kidding. You'll be craving veggies in no time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried roasting them in the crockpot and generally like that. I think one of the things that stops me from eating them is the amount of prep work involved ... all that washing, chopping, etc ... for a one meal payoff. If I'm cooking a main dish, it's usually something that reheats well as a next day leftover or can be frozen for later, and I truly dislike the slimy factor of reheated cooked vegetables.

    ReplyDelete