The bar recipes I learned using homemade flash cards as I walked in the mornings.
I've done several "How to Host a Murder" type mystery parties before this. I quickly found that writing one takes lots and lots of attention to detail. My party was centered around the fictional 4D Record company ... headed by a Mr. E. I started by making a list of all the types of people who might be associated with such a party and tried to come up with humorous pun names to go along with the characters - I got some help on this from my sisters and ended with a list of such characters as:
- Dee Nile - the first wife who won't admit that she and Mr. E. aren't really still together
- Del Lirious - the jazz pianist who talks in slang and is a closet anarchist
- Sadie Word - the rap star whose non-traditional songs feature themes like menopause and household tasks
- Goldie Digger - Mr. E.'s mistress (and all around party girl) who finances her life through her men
- Knott A. Clew - the misunderstood songwriter secretly in love with a girl who won't sing his songs
- Maude Lynn - the emo goth girl singer who is actually brimming with positivity and resorts to listening to conversations on the bus and in grocery stores to find bad situations to sing about
- Dot Matrix - a graphic artist with reams of critical acclaim who happens to be colorblind
|floorplan for 4D records|
However, there were also many red herring subplots: the heroin dealings, the anarchists, bickering among the women associated with Mr. E., a teen star who was adopted, embezzlement and IRS audits, and more. They all served as distractions from the main plot where Mr. E. was announcing a new charity endeavor by the company - free 24/7 studio access to homeless teen musicians.
Guests at the party had been given their roles in advance ... and many embraced their inner thespian and went to town ...
|Claire Voyant, Del Lirious, and Nell N. Void with bartender, Margie Rita - photo from Sara Skelton|
There were some great moments of the evening that didn't get caught on film ... his current wife fainting when the announcement was made that Mr. E. was dead, the newly out-of-work bodyguard asking for a drink at the bar, the mistress being called a slut by the current and ex-wifes, the eyebrows going up on the murderer when he read that he was the one who did it!
I had a fabulous time fulfilling these two goals, and I hope that my friends who could attend did as well!