Sunday, April 24, 2016

#70 - On My Way to See the World ...

This goal is one of the easiest for me in this round.  I love making lists, and I also like dreaming about all the places in the world that I haven't seen yet.  Combining the two made for an easy start to my 1,001 days - plus, it feels fabulous to have one goal crossed off in the first 24 hours.

I started the list last night and continued on this morning.  When I finally stopped to count, there were far more than the 50 places that I had originally challenged myself to come up with - even when I limited myself to spots that I haven't already gone.  If I had added in the places I want to return to, the list would have been about twice as long before I stopped.  Now the trouble is that I need to come up with the time (and funds) to see them all!

I didn't try to put the places in any sort of order as I wrote them out (though I did sort them geographically as I typed them into the blog).  I did see some interesting patterns come out through this exercise.  First, I'm not a sit on the beach girl - sand and sun are obviously much less important to me than historic sites or natural wonders.  Second, I could definitely group some of these into a nice vacation - New York City, a larger tour of Great Britain, Germany/Austria/Poland, etc.  Third, I really don't like being overly warm when I'm walking around on vacation - and this list reflects it because the only hot places are those with a big historic push behind them.

Here's my list of places I'd like to explore (with stars next to the top five):

In Minnesota:
  •  Minnehaha Falls - Minneapolis
  • Mississippi Headwaters - Itasca* (I can hardly believe that I haven't been here yet!)
  • Big Yellow Barn - Jordan
  • Minnesota History Center - St Paul
  • Minneapolis Institute of Arts - Minneapolis
  • Caponi Art Park - Eagen
  • Hjemkomst Heritage Center - Moorhead
  • Mill City Museum - Minneapolis
  • Kensington Runestone Museum - Alexandria
  • Wabasha Street Caves - St Paul

In the United States:
  •  Independence National Historic Park - Philadelphia, PA
  • New Orleans, LA (preferably during Mardi Gras - because the crowds would be worth the parades)
  • Museum of Modern Art - New York City, NY
  • Yellowstone National Park - WY / MT
  • Hoover Dam - Nevada
  • Grand Canyon - AZ
  • Central Park - New York City, NY
  • Coney Island - New York City, NY
  • Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park - Alaska
  • Disney World - FL
  • Sequoia National Park - CA
  • Kennedy Space Center - FL
  • Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - Hawaii
  • Mammoth Cave - Kentucky
  • Tall Grass Prairie National Preserve - KS
  • Assateague Island National Seashore - MD
  • Boston Public Library - Boston, MA (and other historic places in Boston)
  • Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Ohio
  • Hershey, PA
  • Newport Mansions, RI
  • EAA Air Venture Museum - WI
  • Door County - WI
  • Ashfall Fossil Beds - NE

In Canada:
  • Banff- for the mountains
  • Edmonton - for the historic section
  • Calgary - because I've read so many books set there
  • Toronto - for the culture
  • Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia - due to Anne of Green Gables

In Europe:
  •  Rome, Italy (particularly the Coliseum)
  • Hadrian's Wall - England/Scotland
  • Venice, Italy
  • Red Square - Moscow, Russia
  •  Leaning Tower - Pisa, Italy
  • Stonehenge - England
  • Churchill War Rooms - London, England
  • Acropolis - Athens, Greece*
  • Auschwitz - Poland
  • Edinburgh Castle - Edinburgh, Scotland*
  • Leeds Castle - England
  • Mount Snowdon - Wales
  • Tintagel Castle -England
  • Berlin, Germany
  • Oxford, England
  • Cliffs of Dover - Dover, England
  • Delphi, Greece
  • Cardiff Castle - Wales*
  • Caernarfon Castle - Wales
  • Alhambra Palace - Spain
  • Orkney Islands - Scotland
  • Hermitage Museum - St. Petersburg, Russia
  • a fjord - Norway (not picky on which - I just want to see what they really look like in real life)
  • Giant's Causeway - Ireland
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Pompeii, Italy
  • Dublin, Ireland
  • Reykjavik, Iceland
  • the Black Forest - Germany
  • Palace of Versailles - France
  • Bath, England
  • York, England
  • Glastonbury, England
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
  • Vienna, Austria
  • Salzburg, Austria
  • Oberammergau, Germany

Across the rest of the World:
  • the Pyramids / Sphynx  - Giza, Egypt*
  • Karnak / Valley of the Kings - Luxor, Egypt
  • Site of Troy - Turkey
  • Antarctica (anywhere on the continent just to say I've been there!)
  • the Terra Cotta Army - Xi'An, China
  • Waitomo Glowworm Caves - New Zealand
  • Wellington, New Zealand
  • Kathmandu, Nepal
  • Cairo, Egypt
  • Patagonia, Chile
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • the Serengeti Plain - Tanzania / Kenya
  • Mumbai (Bombay), India


No comments:

Post a Comment