Thursday, October 20, 2016

#74 - New foods

I have been described by a number of people as being a picky eater.  There is some truth in that statement, so this goal was designed to expand my culinary horizons a little.  Out of the five new things I tried, I really only liked one; however, I don't see myself actually making it often.  Sadly, I did not take photos along the way, so you'll have to do with my descriptions.

The first try was roasted seaweed.  I had been given this by my brother's family, and it is one of my niece's favorite snacks.  It was very thin - almost like a gelatin sheet - and quite crispy.  However, it smelled exactly like cleaning the tank on the library's pet turtle.  Too much so for me to enjoy despite the crunch.

The second new item was daikon.  This was okay, but I can't say much more than that for it.  I tried it raw, and the taste was actually milder than I expected ... sort of like a radish.  I don't know that I would ever use it though.

The third try was clotted cream which I had with jam on a plain scone.  I had a very different picture in my head of how this would look and taste; I expected something more fluffy and with a more sweet cream taste.  On the other hand, I also had reservations that it might be like a dry cottage cheese which I don't like at all.  Instead, it was a lot like unsalted butter - which made sense after I thought about it.  However, I'm not all that interested in sweet butter as a direct addition to baked snacks, so though I don't really think I'll ever be using it.

The fourth item was my favorite - parsnip soup.  I've had (and enjoy) roasted parsnips, but I had never really thought about making them into a soup.  The one I tried was excellent - similar to carrot or squash soup.  I never use the blender for making soup though, so this might just be something that I keep my eye out for at restaurants rather than making my own.

The last new item was leek soup.  Spurred by both the success of the parsnip soup a few days earlier, and my need to stick to softer food because of having my wisdom teeth out, I tried this even though I am not a big fan of onions.  It was okay, but not something that I would seek out.

No comments:

Post a Comment