Saturday, September 25, 2010

#52 - Bucket List

When I was working on my challenges list, I had exactly one item in the back of my mind that would fit into a bucket list -- the goal of visiting all seven continents before I die.  There's a quote in L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Windy Poplars that sort of sums up my desire to travel "I want to know ... not just believe ... that the earth is round."  I want to see all those places that I've read about ... and I read a lot ... or at least the ones that actually exist (or have in the past).

Now, obviously, I have more varieties of things on my bucket list than just travel.  I'm up to almost 20 items now; however, I've decided only to share on this blog those items that relate to going places, seeing and experiencing new cultures, etc.  Many of the other things on the list seem a bit too personal to share on a public blog.

So, before I die, I'd like to:
  • visit all seven continents
  • see the following historical places / wondrous things with my own eyes
    • the Pyramids in Egypt
    • the Coliseum in Rome
    • the Parthenon in Athens
    • Hadrian's Wall in Britain
    • Venice
    • the Liberty Bell
    • the redwood forests of the Pacific Northwest
    • Mount Rushmore
    • the site of Troy
  • Take an overnight train trip
  • Go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans
  • Stay at least overnight in a castle
  • Take a walking tour vacation

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I've got many of the same things and types of things on my list. So far I've got the Coliseum, Parthenon, Venice, redwoods and Mt. Rushmore taken care of, but I still need to see the Pyramids and experience Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Mt. Everest is on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh huh. Nope. You'll be sore distressed if you go looking for Giant Redwood trees in the Pacific Northwest. Stick to the northern coast of California.
    You may be able to find really, really big Douglas Firs in the Pacific Northwest if you're quick about it.
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I had always included the northern part of California along with Oregon and Washington as my definition of Pacific northwest. I shall defer to your home turf knowledge -- definitely planning on redwoods, not just fir trees (as lovely as they can be as well).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an Anne fan as well. I've read all the L.M. Montgomery books (even the less popular ones.) LOVE the Anne reference ;)

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete