Monday, June 13, 2011

300 Days In ...

It's hard for me to believe that I've been working on my DayZero goals for the better part of a year now.  It seems like I've just started, and yet, a few days ago, I realized that I could no longer easily list all of the items that I've checked off when someone asked. 

The last three months have seen two big projects in my life ... the first was my murder mystery party (which was part of my list and highly enjoyable) and the second was fixing my roof (not on the list).  I'm very happy to have a brand new chimney and steel roof; however, it was an expense I had planned for a few years out rather than this spring.  And, though the contractors were only here for a week, I spent much more time agonizing over who to hire, how to pay for it, etc.  I'm also looking at time commitments and realizing that a certain portion of my summer is going to need to be spent fixing the interior water damage from this spring's ice dams (the reason for the new roof).  I don't mind painting, but a few spots will need some plaster repair (a new skill for me to learn) and two rooms are going to involve moving lots of stuff in order to have enough room to work.

Along with the big projects, I've been doing quite a bit of work in my yard and am very close to finishing two of those goals.  I'm over halfway through with two of the three year-long goals - playing my harp once a week and donating to charities.  I've been taking lots and lots of photos for the photography course I'm taking and have the first assignment almost ready to send in (just one more photo to print).  I've decided to incorporate some of my reading tasks into the goal that I always set for our library's adult summer reading program.  And, while I work on fixing up the other rooms, I'll be redecorating the bathroom as well.   So, I have lots planned for the summer even though the big task of repainting isn't on my DayZero list.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you have a busy summer ahead of you! It will feel so good when you're on the other side and can look back at all you've accomplished! We live in a 111 year old house and it seems like as soon as we get one thing done, another 'surprise' pops up. I just accomplished 2 more things on my day zero list, and i'll be posting about them today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me beat on house age; mine is only 96 years old. But, yes, I definitely know that feeling of hamster running on the wheel trying to keep up with repairs. I'm telling myself that those rooms needed painting anyhow. ;)

    ReplyDelete